- Though there are treatments for chronic kidney disease, some people wish not to be treated.
- Some wait until they start dialysis to see how they feel before they make this decision.
- It is important to understand that a patient chooses not to have any treatment, they will experience serious complications, including death.
- This choice should be discussed with the doctor. The healthcare team will help make an informed decision and will support whatever decision is made.
- Often, a team of experts can be called in for emotional, physical and spiritual comfort for the patient and family.
- The patient can stay in the comfort of their home until they die or can choose to go to a hospital, hospice or nursing home.
© 2020 Fresenius Medical Care. All Rights Reserved. Fresenius Medical Care, the triangle logo, Fresenius Renal Therapies, and NxStage are trademarks of Fresenius Medical Care Holdings, Inc. or its affiliated companies. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners. P/N 104473-02 Rev A 11/2020